When I grow up...

When I was a little girl, I dreamed of becoming a solid gold dancer. I also wanted to dance on the hoods of cars in New York like they did in FAME. After watching the movie International Velvet, I rode my bike pretending it was a horse, blazing over speed bumps in empty parking lots like I was an equestrian.

When we are young our imagination goes wild. We dream of who we want to be when we grow up. But something happens to our dreams when we age – they seem to disappear in the fabric of our busy lives.

It’s important to remember that there is still that young person inside of us. We still have the ability to dream about what we want to be when we grow up. Who is to say we’ve hit our peak? There are many roads that lead to the same place. Don't forget to bring your dreams along for the ride.

I recently found this poem I wrote when I was 10 years old. I absolutely love how I penciled in a typewriter and microphone.

The poem reads:

Have you ever wondered to yourself:
"When I grow up, what am I going to be?"

Mabye a movie star on T.V.
Or maybe just a plain old secretary

We really can't tell
We'll just have to wait

But I know, whatever it is, it will be great.

It's pretty amazing that I knew I always wanted to be a writer - and that to pay the bills, I work as an Executive Assistant (a.k.a. Secretary). I'm keeping this posted on my office wall to remind me never to give up on my dreams.

So tell me – what were YOUR childhood dreams? I would love to see all our dreams fill up the comments section here.