Do you obsess or let go?

Being obsessive is a pain in the ass.

I’ve always been this way. Ever since I was a kid I obsessed over everything I could get my mind around. Now, as an adult, I find myself reading blogs all day instead of working and checking my email in-box (on my iPhone) every- single -minute.

I’m not kidding.

In the last two weeks I have submitted two essays; one was to Salon and the other to the New York Times. I’m beside myself with angst.

What if I were published? What if I’m not? What if, what if.

I don’t need anyone to tell me I am being obsessive. My gastrointestinal track lets me know just fine. On the upside, I think I’ve lost some weight with all the excitement.

It’s been said the trick with this whole writing thing is to submit and let go. How does one do this? Where do I sign up?

I hang on so much I get blisters. Not just with columns I am hoping to get published. I allow things in my life to fester – I Google old boyfriends (for no reason other than idol curiosity). I look back so much I need a rear-view mirror for my obsessions.

So tell me – are you a hanger-on-er or do you learn to let things go?

I’d love to hear your stories on how you handle waiting for news.