Parents: a single gal's opinion

Nobody said children were easy. They don’t come with owner’s manuals, and they definitely don’t have a pause button.

I recently posted on my Twitter page about how amazed I am with parents. It doesn't matter if you work full time, are a stay-at-home parent, or what your situation is - anyone who takes on such a colossal role of mom or dad is my hero. You do realize you are responsible for the character, safety, mental development, education and wellness of another human being, right?

No pressure.

I’ve been in a groove lately. Between stepping up my workout routine, eating clean (no processed food = tons of prep and cooking), work, and maintaining some form of social life, I’ve been running on all cylinders. If homework, carpooling and extra loads of laundry were added in the mix, I’d be burnt toast.

If I could host a Mommy Day Getaway every year, I would. But anyone with kids knows how hard it is to squeeze in spare chill time, let alone a night out with their girlfriends (or bro-friends). So instead, I offer up complimentary Auntie Kiki services anytime they need me;
hearing little feet running on the other side of the door, as they shout “Auntie Kiki’s here!” is pure heaven.

One of my best girlfriends is raising two boys – one of them is autistic. In addition to her mom role, she works full time, and is trying to launch a real estate career. Her husband is a great help - and she has family close by, but I still feel for her everyday struggles to keep it all balanced. She recently learned her little boy is gifted, which, as amazing as this sounds, creates a whole new set of [social] challenges.

Having a gifted child, when you really think about it, really is a rare and special gift. And I know my friend is his mom for a reason. She’s one of my heroes.

There’s no such thing as a perfect parent (or child). But the ones who get it right, deserve a medal - or at least a free spa day.

Here's the part where you tell me – how do you parents do it? 

The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable. ~ Lane Olinghous