Fitting in

In high school, I tried to put so many circles in to squares I got dizzy.

There was the Goth look I tried to master with black eye-liner and hair. The Polynesian Music Club I tried to hang out with in between Tahitian dance lessons and the canoe paddling club. Let's not forget the cheer leading girls. I tried out three years in a row for that silly little squad - only to be denied what I thought was my natural calling - year after year. If you think about it, If I had my way, I would have been a Tahitian dancing cheer leader who listened to The Cure. Sounds perfect to me!

Most of my trying too hard was a direct result of living with imperfect skin. I felt like I needed to show more personality to accommodate what was lacking in physical beauty. But what I really needed to do was stop trying so hard and just be myself. That's the golden rule of life isn't it? Learning to love who we are?

Nowadays, after nine surgeries on my skin and many therapy sessions later, I am happy to say I am comfortable with myself in a way I never imagined. 

It's an amazing thing to realize our imperfections are what make us beautiful. 

I guess we all try to fit in when we are young, but isn't there a little part of us that still wants to as adults?

Here's the part where you tell me: Have you ever tried to fit in? 

"Life's not about fitting in, it's about standing out"