Do we know our own strength?

Last night’s Dateline NBC was one for the books. Tom Brokaw interviewed Aron Ralston. He is a mountain-climber who became trapped by a boulder in Utah, for more than five days in 2003 before amputating his arm with a dull knife.

There is a film out now (Oscar nominated) titled 127 Hours that tells the story of this brave man, played by James Franco.

Kevin and I saw the film and, like most audience members, asked ourselves “would I be able to do that?”

I enjoyed the movie and am rooting for James Franco on Oscar night, but must say, the interview I watched last night left an indelible mark in my psyche. It got me thinking of bravery and how far any human being – with the will to survive – will and can go.

Having just recovered from a pretty hard gallbladder removal surgery, I can’t say I am a stranger to pain. But I don’t think anything can prepare you for the type of physical pain Aron Ralston endured.

Not only did Aron break his bones and cut off his arm to free himself of the boulder, he then had to hike for MILES until he was finally rescued.

The whole time I was watching this interview last night, I kept thinking about human strength and will.

I don’t know if you’ve seen 127 Hours (or caught Dateline NBC last night) but I will ask you to take a moment and answer the question: 

Have you ever surprised yourself with a strength you never thought you had?

Here is a video clip of the movie.