Amy


Since my last post, I received many emails and comments about how nice it was to see Filippa Hamilton coming forward with her firing; a stunning size 4 model accused of being ‘too fat’.


Discussing how the media seduces us with illusions of perfect beauty, I found myself feeling a couple things today. First, I was annoyed at Mama Media in general; with her promises of fat-free bodies, pore-less skin and cellulite free thighs. Second, I was moved. As momentum picked up speed today, talks of self-worth rose to the surface and I was shown this sixty-second video.


Thirty seconds in, I realized something about Amy. I was Amy. Not just with a boy, but with life. In feeling her pain, years of self-loathing tears streamed down my imperfect cheeks.


A little while later, I began to smile.


It doesn’t matter that I have flaws on my cheeks, where yours are or what we wish we had or didn’t have. What matters is how we feel about ourselves, and the message we portray to our children. I’m a proud aunt to many little ones and not once have they ever stopped to ask me why my skin was different. They simply see my skin as me.


If only the media were run by children.


more about "Amy", posted with vodpod