I think I can

This week was an experiment of sorts.

I'm not sure if it's residual behavior from my past life as a Party Girl, but I've never been a morning person. I seem to come alive when the sun goes down. If I didn't need to get up for my 8:00 am work schedule, I'd be up until the wee hours every night.

But wake up, I do. Begrudgingly.

I envy people who wake up without alarm clocks and can wake up whenever their body pleases.

One of the perks of not having any little ones is the fact that I have two days a week where I get to sleep in. It's one of my favorite things.

But weekends come and go quickly, and before I know it, I'm back on the early morning train, complete with tired eyes and a dragging ass.

Knowing how much I hate waking up at 7:00 am Monday through Friday, makes my little experiment this
week all the more challenging. Just to see if I could, I decided to fit my gym time in the morning before work. This means a 4:15 am wake up call, and a solid workout hour from 5:00 - 6:00. I know. What was I thinking?

My thinking was how great it would be to have my workouts out of the way before I think of a million excuses to skip it.

Did I think waking up at 4:00 am was crazy? Absolutely. But the desire to reach my personal goal outweighed any moments of temporary insanity I had. In fact, the challenge was so far fetched, it just made the Scorpio in me even more determined.

Here's the thing about personal challenges: when we set ourselves up for success, we find a way to get there.

It's pretty great when we can prove ourselves wrong in terms of overcoming adversity. When all evidence is to the contrary, we somehow prevail because of one important factor: we believe we can.

As I type this post, I am happy to report I reached my personal goal, and it feels pretty great. I'm not certain I will keep this new morning routine in the long term, but I'm satisfied knowing it's an option. What a lesson in determination and self confidence.

"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are right." - Henry Ford

Here's the part where you tell me: did you ever accomplish anything you didn't think was possible? Please share your story in the comments section and inspire us!