The Knowing

As I sit on the balcony of my hotel room, the sun melts behind fingers of palm trees in the crisp September air. I allow the tears to fall.

When I arrived two days ago at the Central Coast Writer's Conference in San Louis Obispo I didn't know what to expect. Would I feel out of place in a sea of professional literary gurus? Probably. Would I learn things about myself I never realized? I was about to find out.

The gist of what I took away from the weekend is this: I know why I am here.

This is not to say I will become the next Elizabeth Gilbert. I simply feel now that with life, I finally know what all the fuss is about.

When you finally realize what your passions are, you can’t wait to soak up every drop.

There is nothing more gratifying than realizing your dreams – even if they never meet with your wild fantasies of grandeur, the knowing is what keeps us going.

My eyes welled up today in joy and sorrow. I connected with amazing people and learned so much. Today was the perfect melody in the song of my heart and I danced with unabashed joy.


* * *

Side note: I did not wear a stitch of make-up all weekend. If you know my story, well, that is huge.