Writing Is Writing

1
"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein"
Walter Wellesley Smith


Writing Is Writing
.
This week I read a blog post telling readers "blogging does not mean writing". While I understand the thought, I must say I disagree.

Pouring your heart out with words is writing.

A blog is a journal; a way to chronicle, vent, share and communicate publicly (or privately, if you so desire).

A journal is a writer's bloodline.

Long before passwords and screen savers, a little book called The Diary of Anne Frank was born, and later we discover Go Ask Alice. Both journals.


Fast forward and we have amazing writers like Julie Powell and Diablo Cody. I wonder if Meryl Streep would say Julie wasn't a writer, as she starred in the movie born from Julie's blogs titled Julie & Julia.

Perhaps the most noteable blogger is Diablo Cody (Brook Busey). Steven Spielberg hired Diablo to write Showtime's United States of Tara after reading her screenplay for Juno before shooting of the movie even began. Diablo's first blog appeared under the nickname Darling Girl. Connect the dots and you will find a writer through and through.


Diablo Cody posted this on her blog the night she won the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (Juno).

Like all art, writing is subjective. Rather than compartmentalize the vehicles in which a person creates their art, I say we celebrate. I’ve read more talent in the walls of this blogsphere than I can count, all from amazing writers. To make such a bold claim as blogging is not writing is not only dismissive, but disrespectful.

I have always been a writer. My first published article was for an independent newspaper in Honolulu. I was 22 years old and already working as a stripper, but wrote part-time because it was (and still is) in my blood. I was asked to write a weekly column and still have the first publication in my desk.

After hanging up my garter and moving to California, I dove in to a career of sales and marketing, eventually landing in advertising. I wrote commercials for television, pitched advertising concepts and even sang jingles to clients.

As a former drug user, stripper and all around Party Gal, I really have come a long way.
Scanning old photos and writing my book is proving to be cathartic and more emotionally fulfilling than I ever thought possible. If you ever struggle with where you want your life to go, I highly recommend writing who you were twenty years ago.
Describe yourself in great detail, what were your thoughts, and dreams? Who were your friends? What did you like and dislike about yourself? Your answers may surprise you.

Sometimes it takes looking back to help pave the road ahead.

Currently, I have a total of three creative projects in the works, in addition to the occasional erotica features I am asked to write. My ADD challenges me from focusing on one project at a time. While I enjoy the energy of deadlines the balls in the air are getting heavy.

After receiving many emails and comments regarding my book, I have decided to concentrate fully on finishing.

I can’t thank you enough for your encouragement and support. I enjoy interacting with my new friends here and feed off your excitement and energy.

Don't let anyone define who you are. Instead simply write about it.